Monday, July 20, 2009

We're baaaacckkk!!!!

We are still alive. Really.

Barely.

Many of you have let me know that I haven't updated in a while. Here's why.

My family moved into my sisters house for 12 days to take care of our grandpa while my sister and her family were on vacation in Missouri. He lives with her and requires light nursing care and just someone to check on him periodically, get his meals to him, and put him to bed.

It was A LOT for me. I'm such a wimp. I just don't do bodily fluids well. Of any kind, from anything or anyone. Between Grandpa, her three boys, four cats and a dog, she's always said her life is one big bodily fluid and she was right. I was not made to be a nurse, I'm sure of it.

Pray for her.

I don't know how she does it! And she even had home health care come every morning to get him up, clean him up, do his meds, and straighten his place up... just for me. I love her.

Anyway, it was an interesting 12 days. Lots of time for pondering and perspective.

Even more so than usual, I am forever grateful for Joshua. He was a HUGE help to me with Grandpa. He loves just sitting up there with him. Sometimes they talk. Sometimes they just sit. And watch TV. LOTS of TV.

(Just how many hours of Fox News or Deal or No Deal can one watch, really?)


Joshua and Grandpa have an unusual relationship. They really do love each other. Grandpa thinks Joshua is just wonderful. I think it's because Josh is the one who spends the most time with him just sitting with him. Joshua laughs at his jokes. These are the same jokes we all have heard as long as we can remember. But Joshua still laughs. He's great like that.

So, with all that being said... Joshua was able to do something I'm not sure anyone else would've been able to do.

He got Grandpa to do this... (sorry for the picture quality. It's from my cell phone and there are too many windows!)

And then he even did this...


Joshua would push him in his wheelchair around the pool table. Sometimes he would shoot sitting down, several other times he would stand up! That is big for Grandpa. He almost beat Joshua but Josh won!

We did enjoy our stay at her house for the most part. We really missed our own beds, and of course Mick! Remember him???

But we sure did enjoy this...



We did take full advantage of their pool and had friends over to swim while we were there.

Peter even brought his guitar to entertain us!! Fun times with friends!


We had a fish fry with the fish that John and Chad caught while deep sea fishing. I would post pictures but for some reason, the men don't think about taking pictures while they are bringing in their big catch!!!


We had shark, kobia, sea bass, and snapper.

It was yummy!!

I guess this post is plenty long now. I just wanted to let you all in on what we've been doing lately. More to come.

No comments: