Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Joshua

It all started with me just walking into his room. He was getting dressed.

For those of you with teenage boys, you know that you really don't see your son without pants on. For the record, Josh rarely wears shorts as it is too, unless he's in water.

So... I noticed these large, protruding, grossly rope looking, bulging veins in his legs. His left leg only below the knee, and his right leg from the calf to the thigh; I was shocked and asked him what was wrong with his legs (was I really expecting an answer here??). So, I called the doctor to schedule an appointment.

The doctor was concerned with the legs, therefore referring us to a cardiologist. (Note for later: he told me Josh was in the 5th percentile for his weight but no concern was mentioned.)

Last week we saw the cardiologist. After giving him the medical history on Joshua, (which is no easy task mind you), he examined Josh. He asked about all his scars on his ankles, asked about his breathing, asked why he was life flighted back to MU at 8 months, and other various questions.

The doctor then proceeded to make me feel like a horrible mom because Josh is so underweight. This is something I've always thought was normal for Josh and NO doctor we've been to, (including our family doctor), has ever been concerned given his medical history. I told him I always thought this was normal given his start in life, but he informed me Josh should be caught up by now.

After speaking with our family doctor again, he informed me that babies at 24 weeks gestation, back in 1990, did not live so there really isn't much history or information on the books as to what is considered normal. It's like Josh is a medical guinea pig in some form or another, and he told me to not worry about that for right now.

So back to the cardiologist appt... he did an EKG, then another EKG, and then ordered an ECHO to be done. I've never watched an echo, nor did I realize they last can for an hour. After the ECHO, the doctor came in and was speaking with the tech. I started writing everything down they were saying because I was starting to freak out. The doctor told me Josh has increased pressure in his right ventricle. He said he believes there is a blockage somewhere but it's not in his heart, most likely the lungs. He said he is thinking Severe Pulmonary Hypertension with some type of possible heart disease. He also noted Chronic Obstructive Asthma as a diagnosis too. He ordered blood work, x-rays, and a pulmonary function study to be done.

We just completed all the tests this week and will be back to the doctor next Wednesday to find out what is going on. I'm very concerned but am trying to just give this to the Lord and know he has a plan for all this and is not surprised about it. But I am.

Josh is doing okay right now although he is having some anxiety at night (or he's allergic to the cat Alex got for Christmas), but we're thinking it's anxiety. He is able to calm down once we do some deep breathing together, and sleeps through the night. I told him it's my job to worry and his job to get good grades, so we're gonna go with that for now.

SO... with all that said... please pray for Joshua to be calm, for the doctors to know how to best treat him, and for God to heal him.

No comments: